Dreams's Reviews > Chairman of the Whored

Chairman of the Whored by Lucy V. Morgan

Jul 23, 12

bookshelves: 4-5-star-reads, books-i-own-read, kindle-books
Read from July 22 to 23, 2012

"Where you moonlight you will find wolves, and your world will burn beneath them."

"Chairman of the Whored" is one of those books that's going to stand out to me, from all the books I have read this year; it's the type of story that lingers. I have mixed feelings concerning my rating of this book, parts of me loved it and other parts of me wanted to go hide in the closet,plug my ears and go find a "happy place".

This book is sharply bold and Lucy V. Morgan doesn't think twice about crudely cutting you with her words and imagery. Being a student of law myself, I was drawn to the authentic portrayal of Leila's daytime profession as a junior lawyer at a British firm. When Leila's parents hit hard times, instead of letting them lose everything to finish paying for her education, she takes on an evening job as an escort.

"I was, apparently, the kind of girl who could splay herself out for rich strangers and earn a couple of thousand in a few hours. A convenient thing, that. A cursed one too."

Leila's complex in nature, a bit of a dichotomy in and of herself. Her life is strewn with emotional baggage and scars that have shaped her into her feelings on relationships:

"I’d never wanted just one person. How could one be everything? Tools are made for varied purpose, and what are human beings if not Swiss army knives? We hide in pockets–a million cuts swell, awaiting–but it is only when we lie in the hands of others that we catch the scent of blood. There, we make our marks. We slice in two. Selling my body was one of the sharpest blades of all."

Leila is conflicted about her feelings toward Matt, her co-worker:

"He stood for everything a girl like me didn't deserve, and worse, he pierced himself and urged me in until he bore the track lines of an addict. Though never perfect- far from it, the boy was flawed- that lent him a teasing vulnerability. I had a spare piece of the jigsaw and he had an empty space."

A part of her feels that she isn't good enough for Mathew, another part of her wants to destroy his "goodness"

"Matthew, how could I corrupt thee? Let me count the ways...."

Besides the turmoil she is in over her budding relationship with Mathew, Leila is wrapped up in a sordid, unfinished business transaction with her boss, Joseph; and finds herself falling for his dark predilections that mirror her own.

The metaphors and similitude in this book were poetic at some points and cringe-worthy at others.
This book is incredibly dark, perhaps one of the darkest books I've ever read.
I'd classify it among Nabokov's "Lolita" and C.J. Roberts "Captive In The Dark" in terms of
the thought provoking, boundary pushing and emotionally pressing pages they all have. This book is authentic in that, this book does not end perhaps in the way you think it should...the decisions lay not with the readers feelings but, with the characters feelings, whether you like those decisions or not.

I am interested to see where this story will take me while reading the sequel to this book,
"The Whored's Prayer"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chairman of the Whored.

Quotes Dreams Liked

Lucy V. Morgan
“Where you moonlight you will find wolves, and your world will burn beneath them.”
Lucy V. Morgan, Chairman of the Whored

Lucy V. Morgan
“He stood for everything a girl like me didn't deserve, and worse, he pierced himself and urged me in until he bore the track lines of an addict. Though never perfect- far from it, the boy was flawed- that lent him a teasing vulnerability. I had a spare piece of the jigsaw and he had an empty space.”
Lucy V. Morgan, Chairman of the Whored