Shawn's Reviews > The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian by Robert E. Howard

May 12, 13

Read from July 14, 2012 to May 12, 2013

I really enjoy Howard's starkly simple yet evocative writing style. I play around with writing myself and I consider his style an ideal example of the "keep it simple" principle, because simple though it is, it's fantastic and light.
Every now & then a book will have a passage in it that just speaks to me and barbaric though it may be there is one such passage in this book. Page 123...

After explaining his position to a judge of the court that he would not betray his friend, the Judge continued on explaining his duties to society and the like which Conan did not understand nor did he agree that he owed society more allegiance than his friend. The judge told him that if he would not betray his friend he would be thrown into a dungeon to rot. So seeing they were all mad Conan "drew his sword and cleft the judge's skull", cut his way out of the court and hopped a ship to foreign lands!

It was another stark view contrasting social and personal ethics and to me it spoke of how there should be little difference, but there ARE differences and they are usually convoluted and made to serve those in power. I liked this passage very much.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian.

05/12/2013 marked as: read