Megan Anderson's Reviews > What's Eating Gilbert Grape

What's Eating Gilbert Grape by Peter Hedges

Jul 14, 12

Read in April, 2012

This book was an impulse thrift purchase. I remember loving the movie when I was younger (how can you go wrong with a pre-weird Johnny Depp and a young Leonardo DiCaprio?), so I thought I’d check out the book. The book is always better. (Unless it’s adapted from the movie like the Omen. Or made into a wicked awesome TV series like Dexter.)

What’s Eating Gilbert Grape is a great anti-hero book. Gilbert is stuck. Stuck in his small town and stuck in a family full of disfunction: he has a father who committed suicide, a mother so morbidly obese that she can’t walk, an older sister obsessed with Elvis, a younger brother with metal retardation, and a younger sister who’s just hit puberty.

But even with all of those crazy things going on (and more), the book felt really slow moving. I suppose that could be on purpose, as it emphasizes Gilbert’s small life. Or it have just felt that way because I knew the climax from the movie already.

On the positive side, I thought that the first person view was very realistic–I loved reading Gilbert’s inner conflict between his obligation towards his family and his resentment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What's Eating Gilbert Grape.