Cornerofmadness's Reviews > Moonshine

Moonshine by Rob Thurman

Jul 14, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in July, 2012

** spoiler alert ** The second book in the series surpasses the first as emo!Cal is actually less self pitying and whiney (even though he has more reason to be whiney this time since his possessed self did kill a few people last book). He and his older brother, Niko, have started up a detective service, geared to helping the more supernatural aspects of NYC.

Promise, vampire and Niko’s would-be lover, helps them get a big job only for all three of them to be double-crossed. The girl Cal loves, the psychic George, has been kidnapped unless the brothers do a certain job involving deadly werewolves and diadems. They’re relatively sure George will be dead either way but they’re not about to chance her. With the help of Promise and Robin Goodfellow, they try to save George.

Naturally Cal feels guilty about it, never giving it a second thought that someone might just want a psychic as accurate as George. That bothered me. Well, it didn’t bother me that CAL didn’t think of it. He’s not the brightest bulb sometimes. That Niko, Promise and Robin didn’t was annoying. I was also sort of annoyed that Cal’s demonic family isn’t all dead (mostly because I’m not a fan of recurring villains).

Over all, I really enjoyed it (it was probably more a 3.5 than a 3 star). I am still eye rolling a bit that Niko has all these super ninja powers but they grew up in carnivals and in trailer parks and have been on the run since their mid-teens. Just how/where did he learn it all? I would like Niko to have more of a personality than a Zen older brother. He had even less personality this time with Cal not being the one in immediate danger. I did like Cal’s enhanced abilities and I’m sure I’ll look for the next book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moonshine.