Glenna's Reviews > The Glass Castle

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

Jan 04, 09

First of all, I made sure to tell my children that they were really lucky to have Tom and I for parents. Whatever our faults, they have it pretty good.

My mind is so full as I think about this book. It's hard to believe that adults could really think that way. Each parent did seem to have strengths that they shared with their children in the early years when circumstances weren't so bad. They were taught to value knowledge and the mother had a never ending way of looking at the "silver lining" to difficult situations. I believe these were what made the children strong enough to endure and go out and make their own way in the world, when most children in similar circumstances would be just like their parents.

As a teacher I was appalled that someone didn't recognize their need for help along the way or that neighbors didn't help in some way. Maybe this will help me be a little more aware of those around me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Castle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Eliece are you sitting there stunned and amazed every page of this book?!?! my jaw was on the floor from the first chapter

Glenna Sometimes it's hard to believe it is a true story, and that people could really be like that. I have to stop sometimes and go back and see if the mother really did say that. The dad actually seems smart and has an answer for everything. I'm not very far, but very interested.

message 3: by Dana (new)

Dana This book looked interesting, so I just clicked on the title to see what it was about and wa-la...my net nanny kicked in saying I needed a password to read more about it...What kind of book are you reading Glenna?? :) Just kidding - I hope I'm not being too insensitive towards the book. I take it this book is about someone who has been abused? If so, it sounds very similar to another book I read several years ago that I will never forget. It was called The Boy Named It.

Glenna Hey! I haven't been listed as the one that likes naked people. I am not too far into the book, but the abuse seems to be more from him being alcoholic or the fact that these parents don't take care of their kids in the same way we take care of ours. I'll let you know how it goes.

Teri I understand why your net nanny picked it up, Dana. The language is bad but it's her father's vocabulary so what could she do? (Glenna, stop reading now) And there is some attempted sexual abuse but I didn't feel it was graphic. (Did you? Eliece and Marian?)I wouldn't recommend it to my 12 year old but it's such an amazing story that I'm glad I read it.

Eliece yeah, I agree -- nothing is too graphic. I'd forgotten about the language -- I've become a little to desensitized to that. I think it is definately worth reading!

Marian The abuse is not described in detail. And the language, howbeit a lot, was cussing and not a lot of hard core words.