Vicki's Reviews > The Lincoln Lawyer

The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly

F 50x66
Jul 14, 12

Read in July, 2012

This was refreshingly unpredictable to the very end, a rare thing to encounter in a mystery. I was really impressed with how wonderfully crafted all the characters were, even minor ones. Connelly excels at defining charcters through mannerisms, quirks, circumstances and motives in a very organic way, and in a way which presents the people as they are, without bias or judgement. I loved the insight into the judicial system, the understanding of all the gray areas, again without an overshadowing bias, and the interesting perspectives on what is innocence and guilt. Connelly was able to present the perspective and opinons of the defense lawyer without beating the reader over the head with pages of philosophizing. I suppose this comes from his background as a journalist. He tells the story as fully as possible as it occurred. at no point did it feel cliche, despite classic roles of lawyer, cop, judge and defendant. and the plot held together well, at no point did I feel there were holes or a requirement on my part to suspend disbelief that something could have occurred. Found both the story and the crafting of the story to be unexpectedly throughly enjoyable, and further find myself with a wider perspective on the justice system, and those that find themselves in it. bravo Connelly! I rarely give 5 stars, but I really think this story earns it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lincoln Lawyer.