T.M. Smith's Reviews > Solstice: A Novel of the Zombie Apocalypse

Solstice by Donna Burgess

Jul 15, 12

Read from July 14 to 15, 2012

A real life, honest to goodness, Zombie book! WooHoo!!!
My favorite genre of books are Zombie books; I especially enjoy a good zombie book; this was a great zombie book!
Burgess unfolds such an interesting post apocolyptic world for us, you are drawn in more and more with every page as you learn about these
blood thirsty zombies in a human shell (Ragers).
Another aspect of this book that I enjoyed was the justification; how these "Ragers" came to be. They also retained their human memories, locked up somewhere in their psychotic mind, but still there in the forefront. Then we have the human aspect of the story with our characters like Melanie and Tomas, Stu and Tana, adding to the gravity of the situation at hand and delving into the how far would you go to survive? To ensure the survival of and to protect the ones you loved? How far is too far, is that even a question in this type of situation.
This is a very dark, bloody, dystopian world Burgess has created and I thouroughly enjoyed it.
I give it 4/5 stars for 2 reasons; first off at one point during the story the author mixed the names of the two main characters (Stu and Tomas) and I had to scroll back to re-read and verify I was with the right people. Secondly.. our main female lead, Melanie, drove me a little crazy sometimes, her mood was close to bipolar.. swing a door, it changed. All in All though this was a fantastic take on Zombies and I would recommend this book to anyone. Obtained my copy during a free weekend on Amazon but, I would have paid $10 for this book gladly!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Solstice.

07/15/2012 page 130
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Crystal Clifton I knew you would love it YAY

T.M. Smith Oh I did!

Crystal Clifton I was so into it and when I would go to sleep I was forever hearing noises but what I loved about it was the humor as well as the drama involved lol

T.M. Smith I know, although Melanie drove me crazy sometimes she was still a likeable character. There was the realism there as well.. I was reading it until 1AM last night and the noises were freaking me out as well! Love that!!!

Crystal Clifton LOL I could imagine everything
and laughed about the one sitting with his arm between his legs asking how was he gonna eat them LOL or something to that order LOL