Taylor's Reviews > Ascend

Ascend by Amanda Hocking

Jul 14, 12

bookshelves: kickass-heroine, best-of-the-best
Read in July, 2012

OMG! Best book of the series!! I loved, well, LOKI! Well, I shouldn't be so happy because Wendy becomes a...wait for it... cheater , which is something I don't usually condone. But it was with Loki, so that's okay.

I really like how mature Wendy is in this one. Yeah she is still too trigger happy, but she learns to handle a room of angry people, and be able to think things through without letting her emotions and needs cloud her better judgment. Well except for the Loki incident, but it's LOKI!

I found the wedding night hilarious, just the awkwardness between the two, haha. For example:

I stood at the foot of my new bed in my new bedroom. These had been Elora's chambers, but they were mine now, mine to share with my husband. Tove was next to me, and we both just stared at the bed. (page 77, chapter 8)

"Should I... do I need to put pajamas on?"
"Oh." He rubbed his hands on his pants. "Um, if you want to."
"Are you going to ?" I asked.
"I...yeah." He bit the inside of his cheek and lowered his eyes. "We don't have to, you know, have sex. We can if you want to. I guess. But we don't have to."
"Oh," I said, because that seemed like the only thing to say.
"Do you want to?" Tove asked, looking at me.
"Uh... not really, no," I admitted. "But we could try kissing, maybe."
(page 79, chapter 8)

I know, their sex lives are awesome. And then there is the morning after, which I have to put down, it was just that funny.

"Good morning, good morning, good morning," Loki chirped, wheeling in a table covered with silver domes.
"What are you doing?" I asked, squinting at him. He'd pulled up the shades. I was tired a hell, and I was not happy.
"I thought you two lovebirds would like breakfast," Loki said. "So I had the chef whip you up something fantastic." As he set up the table in the sitting area, he looked over at us. "Although you two are sleeping awfully far apart for newly weds."
"Oh my god." I groaned and pulled the covers over my head.
"You know, I think you're being a dick," Tove told him as he got out of bed. "But I'm starving. So I'm willing to overlook it. This time."
"A dick?" Loki pretended to be offended. "I'm merely worried about your health. If your bodies aren't used to strenous activities, like a long night of love making, you could waste away if you don't get plenty of protein and rehydrate. I'm concerned for you."
"Yes we both believe that's why you're here," Tove said sarcastically and took a glas of orange juice that Loki had just poured ofr him.
"What about you princess?" Loki's gaze cut to me as he filled another glass.
"I'm not hungry."I sighed and sat up.
"Oh really?" Loki arched an eyebrow. "Does that mean that last night-"
"It means last night is none of your business," I snapped.
(page 81-82, chapter 8)

Of course the fun continues, but you have to read it.

I loved the happily ever after ending of this book, everything turned out well and everybody ended up with who they should be with. YAY!

READ IT! Even if it's just for Loki.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ascend.

Quotes Taylor Liked

Amanda Hocking
“I don't want only one night. I want all the nights. I want all of you, forever.”

Amanda Hocking
“Princess." He smiled up at me, but it was weak. "If i'd known that this is what it would take to get you to hold me, I would've collapsed a long time ago.”

Amanda Hocking
“Everything I went through," he said. "For you. It was worth it.”

Amanda Hocking
“Mark my words, Princess,” Loki said. “One day, you’ll be madly in love with me.”

Amanda Hocking
“You should get married more often," Loki teased. "It makes you feisty.”

Amanda Hocking
“Everything’s not exactly the way it seems ” I said.
“It seemed like you had your tongue down his throat ” Finn glared at us both.
“Well then everything is exactly as it seems ” Loki said glibly.”

Amanda Hocking
“I paused outside your door to see if you were awake, and you clearly were, so I came in."
"You still can't just barge in." I crossed my arms over my chest.
"Would you like me to go back out and knock?" Loki gestured to the doors behind him. "Would that make you feel better?”

Amanda Hocking
“You just couldn’t wait to get me naked, could you, Princess?” Loki asked tiredly. I started to pull my hand back, but he put his own hand over it, keeping it in place.
“No, I—I was checking for wounds,” I stumbled. I wouldn’t meet his gaze.
“I’m sure.” He moved his thumb, almost caressing my hand, until it hit my ring. “What’s that?” He tried to sit up to see it, so I lifted my hand, showing him the emerald-encrusted oval on my finger. “Is that a wedding ring?”
“No, engagement.” I lowered my hand, resting it on the bed next to him. “I’m not married yet.”
“I’m not too late, then.” He smiled and settled back in the bed.
“Too late for what?” I asked.
“To stop you, of course.” Still smiling, he closed his eyes.”

Amanda Hocking
“Can I cut off your head?"
"Are you asking for my permission?”

Amanda Hocking
“I’m alright,” Loki assured me with a grin and stepped out into the hall, so we could have some privacy from onlookers. “What can I do for you, Princess?”

“Can I cut off your head?” I asked.

“Are you asking for my permission?” Loki tilted his head and cocked an eyebrow. “Because I’m going to have to say no to this one request, Princess.”

“No, I mean, can I?” I asked. “As in, am I capable of it? Would you die if I did?”

“Of course I would die.” Loki put one hand against the wall and leaned on it. “I’m not a bloody cockroach. What’s all this about? What are you trying to find out?”

Amanda Hocking
“Good morning, good morning, good morning," Loki chirped, wheeling in a table covered with silver domes.
"Oh my god." I groaned and pulled the covers over my head.
"Yes we both believe that's why you're here," Tove said sarcastically and took a glass of orange juice that Loki had just poured for him.
"What about you princess?" Loki's gaze cut to me as he filled another glass.
"I'm not hungry."I sighed and sat up.
"Oh really?" Loki arched an eyebrow. "Does that mean that last night-"
"It means last night is none of your business," I snapped.”