Hannah's Reviews > The Glimpse

The Glimpse by Claire Merle

F_50x66
Jul 14, 12

Read in July, 2012

Just when I think I'm done with the genre, dystopia just pulls me right back in then spits me back out. I'm starting to think that I might be a masochist. I guess I hope that eventually I'll stumble onto another Hunger Games, but whatever. Either way, this book was an epic fail.
I got confused at the beginning, because it kept jumping around timewise, but I stuck with it, hoping that was the only problem I'd have with it. It wasn't.
Ana doesn't reach out and grab me like a heroine should, and honestly she kind of annoyed me but I couldn't tell you why. I liked Jasper, but didn't love him. It was obvious Merle was trying to weave information into the story by letting the characters reveal it, but it was awkward and heavy. She didn't balance dialogue and description very well which is writing 101.
Halfway through the story, I gave up. I just couldn't finish it. I have a stack of books in the corner of my room that I still need to read, and this book wasn't doing it for me.
In Merle's defense, I've read a couple other reviews that complained the book was unrealistic because such societal changes couldn't possibly occur in less than 50 years. I have two words for you: Nazi Germany. If Hitler had been unopposed and allowed to do as he pleased for another 20 years, the world would have been vastly different, and not in a good way. The Nazis used propaganda on an existing prejudice and look what happened. Anyone who was different from the accepted majority (the "pures") was either ostracized or killed. That all happened in less than a decade. Thirty years isn't so farfetched, especially given the way society treats people with mental disorders.
But the rest the book is crap. Save yourself the headdache and skip this book. Two stars for plot and worldbuilding, but poor execution.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glimpse.