Book Twirps's Reviews > Drain You

Drain You by M. Beth Bloom

Jul 22, 12

Read in July, 2012

"I don't care what you think unless it is about me. It is now my duty to completely drain you." - Nirvana

Quinlan Lacey lives a very ho-hum life, spending her time slacking at her job, sleeping away the summer days, fighting off the advances of Morgan -- a boy who might be good for her, but is just too easily attainable for her to give a damn. Things change the night she sees her prim and proper classmate, Naomi, wandering along the street covered in blood. Naomi's brother, James, appears and Quin is immediately drawn to him. Of course James is all wrong for her (he's a vampire), but having someone that feels so right yet is oh so wrong might give Quin the sense of excitement her life seems to be missing, but is Quin's need for a little excitement worth risking her life?

I'd read very mixed reviews of this one, and I was a little hesitant when I started it. I'm happy to say that I didn't find it as awful as a lot of other reviewers, but I still wasn't blown away by it. I found it just okay. The characters are all pretty bland and not very likable. I could see where the author was going with Quin, and her obsession with Kurt Cobain was pretty apparent in a lot of her behavior (bored, put off, rebellious), but it just didn't grab me. I found it difficult to connect with her, which, in turn, hampered my enjoyment of the story. I will say that Quin's voice is very authentic, and bleeds off the page, but that voice started getting on my nerves after a while. The use of "like", while very realistic, begins to grate on my nerves after a while. I felt as if I were reading subtitles on an episode of "Keeping up with the Kardashians".

I also felt that the pacing was off. There were times when it dragged and other times when I felt there was a missed opportunity for some really meaty stuff. The ending also left a lot to be desired. I would have liked more of a resolution.

In a market that has been bled out by an over-saturation of vampires over the last few years, coming up with something truly original is no easy feat. The story was okay, but I felt as if I'd read it before. At the same time, if you are a fan of Twilight, or you aren't sick of the typical YA vampire, you may want to give this one a try. For me it was just okay.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drain You.