Michele at A Belle's Tales's Reviews > The Burning Star

The Burning Star by Jessie Lane

Sep 25, 12

Read from September 10 to 16, 2012

I am really loving author duos lately! I can’t imagine writing a book with someone else - I don't always play well with others. I think it is such an accomplishment that two people can achieve such a thing.

The Burning Star follows the life of Kay, who was diagnosed with cancer and whose mom has relocated them from a busy city life to the boondocks of North Carolina. She is surrounded by boxes that she wishes would magically unpack themselves. I love this quote and, in light of my recent move, found it to be very comforting:

"However, a small voice whispered in the back of my mind
that the country might be different and soothing.
Calming in a way that my soul never knew I needed."

Deciding to take a break from unpacking, she takes an afternoon walk in the nearby woods and runs into a handsome stranger fighting a ghastly and ghoulish…monster-dog? Hell beast?? Is her imagination playing tricks on her? Are the medications she is required to take causing her to hallucinate? After the stranger denies it being anything other than a dog, she begins to wonder. Then, there are the wolves she spots outside her house, the incredible-looking satellite cable provider with a secret of his own, and the stranger from the woods who wants to see her again. Now, the girl who has never had a date in her life has two, which has Kay thinking that, maybe, moving to the country won’t be so dull after all! Secrets, glamours, mystical beings, sworn enemies, and a world she never knew existed are suddenly revealed and Kay is at the center of it all.

I always enjoy reading about the Fey. The Burning Star has a great premise and is full of magic and endearing characters. The multiple POV’s are a lot of fun, and the way it all ties together in the end was not only unique, but also very absorbing.

I did struggle a bit with conversations between a few of the characters, which didn’t always flow easily and, at times, may have been a bit juvenile for older teens. That could be my age coming into play, since, as some of you know, I haven’t been a teen for *ahem* a long time. There are some grammatical and typographical errors, but the authors are aware and are working diligently to correct those errors and make The Burning Star the best it can be. That aside, this series has so much promise!

While I adore Nick and the sacrifice he made for Kay, my favorite character soon became Kira. She was an added bonus and surprise gem. Her POV quickly became my favorite. Her story is riveting and I love how strong and determined she is. Her life is full of heartbreak and the things she has had to endure may have hardened her, but have also made her into a fierce warrior. I am anxious to see what will become of Kira and learn more about this amazing character and her possible relationship with the intriguing Kane. The Frozen Star is book two in the Star series and I look forward to reading more about these characters.

Thank you to the authors for providing a copy of The Burning Star in exchange for my honest review.

Review originally posted on my blog: A Belle's Tales
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Burning Star.

09/11/2012 page 40
12.0% "Already feeling a great connection with the female lead!"
09/12/2012 page 123