Laurie's Reviews > Now and Zen

Now and Zen by Linda Gerber

Nov 03, 2008

bookshelves: wmslibrary
Read in November, 2008

Part of the Students Across the Seven Seas (S.A.S.S.) series, each about an American high school girl studying abroad (for a short time, not a whole semester or year). This one is in Japan, and while the story is not great (the heroine does something very stupid related to a boy she likes, and takes a LOOONG time to realize how stupid she is being), I enjoyed the descriptions of Kyoto and Tokyo. The Sound of Munich is fun for those who like Sound of Music/Betsy and the Great World, and I liked Westminster Abby.

Several girls at my school really enjoy this series (which has romantic intrigue but no sex), and I like it because it's one of the few contemporary series that is somewhat analogous to '50s girls stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Now and Zen.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Wendy (new)

Wendy What a genius idea for a series, whether the books are good or bad. I will have to look up The Sound of Munich.

message 2: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Hey, I just read someone else's review to get the spoiler you wouldn't give... didn't we see that exact plot when Brenda Walsh went to Paris and met Clark Kent?

message 1: by Susann (new)

Susann Constance kindly gave me a copy of The Sound of Munich a few years ago (she's well aware of my deep love for a certain Julie Andrews movie), and I can see why the books would be very popular in a middle school library. As Laurie said, maybe not the best stories, but the international settings are lots of fun.