Lexie's Reviews > Geekomancy

Geekomancy by Michael R. Underwood

Apr 09, 14

bookshelves: book-type-e-book, genre-urban-fantasy, review-blog, kindle, first-in-series, ebooks-owned-read
Read from July 14 to 28, 2012

Prelim Review: I won't lie this book may have been too pop culture laden even for me to handle. I like it as much as the next obsessive person--Whedon is my God and shows like Buffy, Farscape and Eureka top my list of favs, but Underwood packed so much pop culture ('geek') knowledge into this book it too often distracted from the plot.

I believe there is not a single 'page' (as this is an e-book, your page may vary dependent on your device) that goes by without half a dozen geek references. I can proudly say I got a good deal of them, but while my mind was saying 'awesome reference!' I lost the plot, so I'd have to re-read. That's a problem with a fast paced, everything changed in a second book like GEEKOMANCY.

I liked Ree, I'd doubtless be friends with her in RL (I doubtless have friends like her in RL) and I appreciated that she didn't immediately buy into what Eastwood was selling. She was, for the most part, a level-headed person who didn't see a reason to take crap from anyone. And for that I enjoyed this book quite a bit.

Full review to be posted at Poisoned Rationality

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Geekomancy.

07/14
5.0% "why yes if joseph gordon levitt asked me to run away w/him I would. no questions asked." 1 comment
07/24
35.0% "Its quite possible Underwood makes more geek references then even I can follow. And that's saying something gorram it!"
03/11 marked as: books-owned-read