Laci's Reviews > The Clan of the Cave Bear, the Valley of Horses, the Mammoth Hunters, the Plains of Passage, The Shelters of Stone

The Clan of the Cave Bear, the Valley of Horses, the Mammoth ... by Jean M. Auel

Jul 14, 12

This is a great series that really draws you in! I loved it. Some books were better than others, though...a lot more action. I think I liked the first and second ones the best. There are also quite a lot of descriptions, which at times is neat, so you can envision what the world looked like and how the clans operated in those times, however, most of the time I would skip ahead a few pages to get back to the actual story. :)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Clan of the Cave Bear, the Valley of Horses, the Mammoth Hunters, the Plains of Passage, The Shelters of Stone.

message 1: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I've loved Clan of the Cave Bear since I was a child. Ms. Auel was an expert at fleshing out the lives and loves of the Clan, making them relateable yet appropriately "other."

When I found out it was an entire series, the thought of finding out what happened to Ayla was quite exciting. Sadly, I thought much of the magic was lost in the subsequent books. With the introduction of Jondalar and his people, Auel went from writing about ancient peoples to modern folk in ancient times. The mannerisms and thought processes seemed far too recent to belong to those living in a time of wooly mammoths.

Laci Stephanie wrote: "I've loved Clan of the Cave Bear since I was a child. Ms. Auel was an expert at fleshing out the lives and loves of the Clan, making them relateable yet appropriately "other."

When I found out it ..."

Yeah, Josh's mom clued me into it. I thought the same thing, I got kind of bored when it focused on the people a lot...I enjoyed the horses and lions and wolves better, haha! :) Have you seen the Daryl Hannah movie version?

message 3: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie I vaguely remember seeing the movie many (many) moons ago. I remember thinking that DH was far too old to be playing Ayla, but I guess they had to fudge the ages a bit. After all, it wouldn't do to have an 11-year-old playing Ayla when certain traumatic incidents occur.