Barbara Klaser's Reviews > The Sacred and the Profane: The Nature of Religion

The Sacred and the Profane by Mircea Eliade

Jul 14, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in September, 1975

I read this many years ago for a college course in religious philosophy, so I don't remember the specifics of it all that well. But I do recall that it provided an excellent perspective on religion and its place in human society, presumably since humanity began. I recall that the other text we used in that course was by Huston Smith, I believe it was The Religions of Man, which is since retitled The World's Religions.

As someone who grew up in a not very religious family but one nonetheless grounded in Protestant Christianity, learning more about other belief systems opened the world to me in a way that studying political science or world literature could not. Religion and spirituality have fascinated me ever since, not just as a means toward firming up my beliefs (in fact the more I learn and experience the looser they become, but I consider that a good thing) so much as a way to begin to understand people, mankind as a whole.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sacred and the Profane.