Ryssmiles's Reviews > Veil of Pearls

U_50x66
Jul 14, 12

Read in July, 2012

Plot Summary:

It is 1811, and the prosperous port city of Charleston is bustling with immigrants like Adalia. But she has a secret: her light skin belies that she is part black and a runaway slave from Barbados. She lives in terror that her owner will come looking for her. Instead Morgan, the son of a plantation owner, finds her. He is handsome, charming, bored--and enamored of the beautiful Adalia. Soon she is swept into his glamorous world, a world in which the truth about Adalia's heritage would ruin her--and Morgan. This epic romance reveals the beauty and tragedy of the Old South.
Going Deeper - Book Themes:

At first Adalia only craves freedom from her bondage. When she escapes to freedom, though life is hard, she finds contentment. Then she receives more than she could have dreamed and she is grateful. But it doesn't take long for her to lose her focus and even forget the webs of deception that she has woven to establish her new life.

Suddenly respected in a way she has never known, Adalia craves more. But what is she truly after? Is it position, power, influence, respect? Or is it love? She must look to the Lord and into the depths of her own soul to answer these questions.

Will the love that she hopes for be destroyed by her lies or will she trust in truth to refine and prove a love that is real?
My Opinion:

I can't honestly say that I loved this book. There were rich themes to be uncovered, but I personally never connected with Adalia's character. I couldn't relate to her actions, how she went from running for her life to happily being the belle of the ball assuming that she could become a plantation owner's wife all the while hiding her past. Morgan was the character that seemed the most believable, but even he wasn't fully able to draw me into the tale.

Because I didn't connect with the novel's characters, I saw the deeper themes, but wasn't able to relate deeply to them in the context of the story. If I hadn't agreed to review this book I would have set it aside and forgotten about it. Actually, even though I agreed to review this book, I very nearly forgot to do so. I was simply underwhelmed with the novel as a whole. It was just OK and not the standout that I hoped. I'm sorry to say it, because I have been moved by other novels by Tyndall, but this book did not measure up to my expectations.
---

I received a free digital copy of this novel in exchange for my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Veil of Pearls.