Josh Feinzimer's Reviews > Last Man Standing

Last Man Standing by David Baldacci

Nov 03, 08

bookshelves: thriller

This book failed to keep my attention. I read most of it and then came back to it a couple of months later. Some of the characters seemed unbelievable to me. The main character, Web, was a tormented soul. He was plagued by a troubled past full of abuse and neglect. He coped with an unpleasant childhood by an obsession with his job as a member of the HRT unit of the FBI. A fatal mistake early in his career tormented him almost as much as his abusive father. I kept pulling for Web througout the book, but the conclusion suggests that he may never come to terms with all of his pent up issues. That to me was a huge let down. There was a great deal of violence in this work, almost too much. So many of the characters end up dead which was a bit over the top for my taste. It seemed that Baldacci killed off characters for gratuitous reasons. Also, one character transforms 180 degrees within a couple of pages. To me, the flaw of this work was its unbelievablility. If you're a Baldacci fan, and I am one, you come to realize at the end that you've read some of his better efforts before Last Man Standing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Man Standing.