Miik's Reviews > The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier

Nov 07, 08

Recommended to Miik by: My Inner Moore Fanatic
Recommended for: Moore Fanatics
Read in November, 2008

Mr. Moore was a little too pleased at his own cleverness. It was good in an elitist jerk sort of way, but overall the storyline left me cold throughout and fizzled in a spurt of weirdness rarely seen. The rating is for the beautiful imagery and the inventiveness of the back story paper trail, but unless you're a HUGE Moore fan, you'll probably want to avoid it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Let me know how you like this one. I almost bought it a couple of times but I've read a couple of reviews that totally panned it and since the stores I saw it in didn't have it in a "previewable" state, I didn't want to take the chance.

I like the concept of the League...I'm just worried that this segment strays too far from what made it great. I hope you'll tell me otherwise and give me some renewed hope. :)

Miik Oh man. Very difficult question. It strays from the feel of the first two quite a bit. A little over half the book is comic, the rest is brilliantly executed back story stuff in the form of government reports, boys magazine articles, and fictitious works of fiction.

I am impressed with the bizarre lengths to which Mr. Moore went to create these tidbits (just as an example, there's a section where Bertram Wooster writes a description of his run in with the League, and it is an almost impeccable imitation of Wodehouse) but it almost seems a little too self indulgent. The comic segments are beautiful, but lack some of the punch of the earlier installments.

If you LOVE the previous ones you probably won't be disappointed. Anything less and buyer beware.

message 3: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Thanks for the comment and for the review. I've enjoyed Moore and the League in the past, but I'll probably try to find a place to thumb through the book before breaking down and buying it.

Miik I got mine at the library. ;)

message 5: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Nice...I'll have to see if Davis County has it in their system to hook me up.