Eden's Reviews > The Lives We Lost

The Lives We Lost by Megan Crewe

Jul 14, 2012

liked it

There are two main arcs to this book: the characters' survival, and the characters' emotional development. Unfortunately, the first isn't engaging enough to carry the story. Even though realistic living needs problems come up and the setting changes regularly, the issues faced by our group of characters grow to become repetitive and a little boring; they simply aren't gripping enough to base the story around. So when the emotional tribulations come around, they're welcome, as we get to see a relationship that was a mere phantom in the former book resurrect and morph.

Kaelyn is a well-pitched protagonist: focused on her goal without seeming overbearing and obsessive. Though her constant state of abject worry may grate, enough emotional fluctuation occurs so that it's not too tiresome overall. Her relationship with Gav also avoids beating the obvious path of a break-up; instead, Crewe introduces a not-unexpected but still-interesting twist to him. With so many characters, though, we don't get nearly enough time to see the characters as their own individual people.

Given that the plot is so very straightforward, the ending comes as a disappointment, as nothing is truly resolved; the protagonists simply decide to move onto another target to continue to try and achieve their main goal. That being said, it isn't a cliffhanger; in fact, to me, it was the opposite. I just didn't find it appealing enough to trudge through a third book to find out the goal of this second book.

*Review originally published at Pass the Chiclets.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lives We Lost.

06/06/2013 marked as: read

message 1: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth GAH! No!!!!

Eden Elizabeth wrote: "GAH! No!!!!"

message 3: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Eden wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "GAH! No!!!!"

It's just that it's a transitional novel! And it really feels like it, you know? :S"

So often the second book gets the story itself kind of muddled and disjointed because of the "transitional" thing. Reading the VA series now and find the same thing happening in every other book. It's maddening! Anyway, is this series worth continuing?

Eden Elizabeth wrote: "So often the second book gets the story itself kind of muddled an..."

Yeah, I wouldn't say it's TOO muddled or disjointed, but it definitely feels like a sequel. There's just a steady increase of tension, no real closure of conclusion. It's a get-from-A-to-B story. Characters, setting, etc. were all solid, but the story arc itself was too straightforward :/

message 5: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Wait. Still no review?! GAH! I'm dying here. Must know everything :)

Eden Elizabeth wrote: "Wait. Still no review?! GAH! I'm dying here. Must know everything :)"

Haha, I published it on my blog then forgot to cross-post it :P It's up now!

message 7: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Eden wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "Wait. Still no review?! GAH! I'm dying here. Must know everything :)"

Haha, I published it on my blog then forgot to cross-post it :P It's up now!"

Phew! Thanks, I'm a happy girl now.

message 8: by Elizabeth (new) - added it

Elizabeth Is this book written in the same style as the previous? While I appreciated its uniqueness, I found it a bit cloying after a while. Bummed to hear it wasn't as good as the first but at least it sounds as though I won't have to read the third if I decide to read the second.
I am sad :(

Eden Elizabeth wrote: "Is this book written in the same style as the previous? While I appreciated its uniqueness, I found it a bit cloying after a while. Bummed to hear it wasn't as good as the first but at least it s..."

No, it isn't the same style--the first chapter is epistolary-style, then it's all present tense. Do pick it up, Elizabeth! You might enjoy it more than I did. :)