Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)'s Reviews > Nightlife

Nightlife by Rob Thurman

I loved this book. It was very different and kept my interest in a way that a great urban fantasy should. I really fell in love with Cal and his brother Niko. I love books that show a positive view of siblings since I love my sister and get along so well with her. If you enjoy the relationship between Sam and Dean on Supernatural, you'd probably like this book for that reason. Some of the elements of their relationship bring to mind the Winchester brothers. Niko is a man that I could marry. His love for his brother was so intense and so all-consuming the way a sibling should love. I love his dedication to being the best warrior that he can so that he can protect Cal when his "other relatives" try to take him back. When he cut his hair off in grief, I just about lost it.

I enjoyed the new twist on elves, and I found the action sequences so vivid they jumped off the page at me. There were some genuinely scary moments that sent a chill down my spine (I love a good scare). I liked the noir-esque narrative, peppered with wry humor and in a voice that really sounded like a young man (I was surprised the author is a woman) who has seen more bad than good in the world. In fact, I think Cal is a great character and a real trooper considering what he has gone through and the heritage he has to face.

I love that Cal's sweet on a young woman who is biracial and can see the future (you know me and my love for interracial romance). Fans of shows like Buffy and Angel would like this book because it has the feel of these shows, but delves deeper than an hour long show can. I liked the very interesting secondary cast of characters and beasties (as a lifelong fan of folklore, I am always happy to see some of the beasties in fiction books). I loved that I actually had to look up a few like the boggle who lived in the pond in Central Park. Fans of Harry Dresden from the Jim Butcher novels and John Taylor from Simon R. Green's Nightside novels will probably like this book and consider it a book that might show what Harry and John might have been like as a young man. In the end, I just can't say enough good things about this book. I will buy every book Rob Thurman writes and particularly the Cal Leandros series. If you are an old fan of urban fantasy, a new fan, or wanting to branch out to this wonderful genre, please read this book.
38 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nightlife.

Quotes Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Liked

Rob Thurman
“We all have our security blankets in this world. Some are just sharper than others.”

Rob Thurman
“What're you still doing up? You know all good little ninjas should be in bed, visions of homicidal sugarplums dancing in their heads.”

Rob Thurman
“Most kids don't believe in fairy tales very long. Once they hit six or seven they put away "Cinderella" and
her shoe fetish, "The Three Little Pigs" with their violation of building codes, "Miss Muffet" and her
well-shaped tuffet—all forgotten or discounted. And maybe that's the way it has to be. To survive in the
world, you have to give up the fantasies, the make-believe. The only trouble is that it's not all
make-believe. Some parts of the fairy tales are all too real, all too true. There might not be a Red Riding
Hood, but there is a Big Bad Wolf. No Snow White, but definitely an Evil Queen. No obnoxiously cute
blond tots, but a child-eating witch… yeah. Oh yeah.”
Rob Thurman, Nightlife

Susan Well, congrats on getting along with your sis... mine and I REALLY don't get along and I haven't even MET one of my two half-brothers...

This series of books is so good because it's so believable on a level that's kinda scary.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Hey overall my family is pretty dysfunctional. That's why I cherish my relationship with my sister. Yeah I am eager to read the next books in this series.

Julie (jjmachshev) Digging in my TBR pile...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) It's a really good one to read when you get a chance, Julie.

message 5: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent How many of these are there?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) There's four out and one forthcoming.

valee hi Danielle...
Is there any romance in this series?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Hmm. Not really, at least not in the first couple of books. There are a couple of love interests. It's very much urban fantasy. But it's really fantastic. I recommend it highly.

valee Thanks Danielle, I'll add them then.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) You're welcome. I hope you enjoy them, Vale.

♥ ♥Lynn ♥ ♥ Have you read Thurman's second series Trick of the Light? I really liked it too! Robin Goodfellow is a friend of the main character. He is not really in the book per say, but mentioned. I really like the rest of the Cal series too. I hope you finish it.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Hi Lynn. I haven't read Trick of the Light yet. I'm making my way through the Cal books, and then I'll read that one. I'm glad you liked it. :)

Mike (the Paladin) Just read your review. I'll check to see if you've listed (and reviewed) them when I have time, but did you like the series in general? I can't say I liked it as well as you, but I do like them. I've searched for other urban fantasies and found more I didn't care for than that I liked... these were an exception on the whole, and I tend to like more overt heroes (at least in general).

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I haven't read the last two stories yet, but I love this series overall. Probably in my top four faves for urban fantasy (This, Mercy Thompson, Harry Dresden, Nightside) It's pretty dark. I like that dark, noir vibe though. I think Nico and Cal are heroic in the ways that count. I feel that they are sort of knights in tarnished armor (well, moreso Cal). Nik is more of a boy scout (albeit a very dangerous one).

Mike (the Paladin) I'd list Dresden as my top pick by far. The Nightlife series I've read 3 I think, liked 2 didn't care for 1. I couldn't get into the Mercy Thompson, may be a bit too romantic for me. I may try again later.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I can't put them in order. I love them all. MT hits the spot because she's one of the few UF heroines I like without reservations. Most of them get on my nerves. There's also a tendency to make them oversexed. Drives me crazy.

Mike (the Paladin) I've read a few that I "sort of" liked... but I still like the Dresden stories best I suppose. Have you read Grey Walker? I read two of those, may follow up. That's one of the series I "sort of" liked. They weren't great... but I didn't hate them.

Oops...off topic. Okay, like I said, I also like Nightlife and it's sequels.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Not off topic at all. We're talking books, after all. I haven't read the Graywalker books, but it's in my tbr pile.

Mike (the Paladin) I've read the first 2 (Greywalker)...I may listen to the third and fourth when I "need" another audio. I like to play them when I do things around the house or paint etc.

Regina I am wondering if I was too rough on this book -- I gave it 2.5 stars. Loved the idea, loved how different this book was -- and I also liked how dark it was. But I just was bored for the last quarter, sort of fell fall. For those who have read on in this series, how do the next few measure up?

Mike (the Paladin) This is Danielle's review and I think she likes them a bit better than I do. That being said, I like them. It will depend on each person's taste. My favorite Urban Fantasies are the Harry Dresden books. I don't think these are that good, but they're a cut above most UF I've read.

Regina Thank you Mike, I am a huge fan of Harry as well.

message 23: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Wright I may need to check out this book!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) I would be interested in seeing how you like it, Urban. You might find it boring like Regina did. I have found this series is not highly rated by a lot of UF readers. But, it's one of my personal favorites. I so love the relationship between Cal and Nik. It makes the book for me.

Regina I read this about 2.5 months ago and I will say the characters have stuck with me. I kinda wonder if it was my mood or what I read directly before this book. I am thinking of moving on to #2.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Regina, I think quite a few readers had trouble with this first book, but liked the following books more. I say give it a try.

Regina Thank you -- I think I am going to add it to my priority list.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) You're welcome. I'll look for your review.

message 29: by Zina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zina Just cause you mentioned Sam and Dean....Im reading this book.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) Zina, I think you'd like the relationship between Cal and Nic if you're a Supernatural fan!