Trisha's Reviews > Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls

Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls by Tellulah Darling

Jul 14, 12

bookshelves: kindle, ipad, romance, humour, ya-literature, dual-narrators, netgalley, smexy
Read on July 14, 2012

This was pretty hilarious, although way more *smexy* than I am used to in YA. Characters are seem to be about 17 or 18, with the plot focusing on Sam & Ally's best friend relationship, and the journey to it maybe being something more. Ally is a geeky nerd girl who has just been dumped by her domineering pretentious boyfriend of two years. Devastated, Ally decides to turn her life around and act more like BFF Sam, a total player, who treats girls very badly indeed.

This is an extremely witty novel, with many laugh out loud moments. The two engage in very frank discussions about sex, relationships and dating rules which demonstrates the strength of their friendship. Their conversations are so natural and so authentic, it is easy to adore both of them even when we cringe at their poor decisions, or their inability to see what's right in front of them. And then when we see Sam bewildered and vexed by Ally's makeover and Ally reach out to Sam emotionally the book lifts from light & flirty to tender & poignant.

One thing I found interesting was the setting. I never felt like I was in a typical American high school. For a while I thought it was set in England (Sam talks about being in 'twelfth grade'), but later characters talk about moving to London, so I looked it up and it seems to be set in Canada. Anyway, this never detracted from my enjoyment of the book, in fact, it enriched it since it was so different.

Not out till October I think, but I hope it gets the word-of-month hype it deserves. it's a really great book. But yeah, totally smexy... in a good way.

Received with thanks from from Netgalley
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sam Cruz's Infallible Guide to Getting Girls.

Hwa Sun Smexy is totally the word to describe this book.

message 2: by Geraldine (new)

Geraldine Arias wait you guys don't say twelfth grade in the states? I sincerely learned something new today