Darrell's Reviews > Kabuki, Vol. 3: Masks of the Noh

Kabuki, Vol. 3 by David W. Mack

Dec 08, 08

bookshelves: reviewed, graphic-novels
Read in December, 2008

According to the introduction, this volume gives a look inside the individual personalities of Kabuki's fellow masked assassins. Not so much. While we do catch brief glimpses of the Noh outside their role of assassin, the focus is centered on the violence. I'm beginning to suspect the only volume of Kabuki worth reading is the first. The artwork in this volume is black and white and mainly done by other artists, so if you're a fan of David Mack's art, look elsewhere. It's standard comic book fare with scantily clad women killing and torturing people and dodging bullets by doing handstands. The perfect marriage of sex and violence. Perhaps to avoid being accused of appealing to the lowest common denominator, Mack throws in some bad poetry, as if we didn't get enough of that from Vol 2. Also, his characters refer to themselves as comic book characters multiple times in an attempt to be clever. All the multiple layers and subtle nuances of Vol 1 are gone, making this an average run of the mill comic book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kabuki, Vol. 3.