Borax's Reviews > Zone One

Zone One by Colson Whitehead

Jul 14, 12

If you ever wanted to read a zombie book by way of Nick Carraway, this is the one for you. Emotionless....detatched....and full of elevated language....but at the same time bitter and jaded over what breezes on around him, Zone One is not your typical zombie book....it barely has a plot, as our hero, Mark Spitz, keeps reminiscing....which is funny, since he prides himself for not living in the past....that's one of the many contradictions...it's written in 3rd person limited, but even with that said, the journeys into memory must be driven by Mark's language...lithe way he remembers....and the way he remembers is very fancy, language wise, which doesn't jive with his character, a self proclaimed B student slacker. I liked this book, but it felt like the writer was trying to fit into a genre he wasn't really meant for....or, in another way of putting it...Colson's downfall here is that he puts language and method over character and plot....the whole time you are aware you are reading someone writing intelligently about zombies....you know what I mean?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zone One.