Caroline's Reviews > Reached

Reached by Ally Condie

Mar 03, 13

bookshelves: dystopia, young-adult, read-in-2013
Read from February 24 to March 02, 2013

I picked this up out of obligation to finish a series I was only semi-enjoying in the first place, which led to some real feelings of resentment when I felt this was even duller than the first two books. For a book portraying a rebellion's overtaking a government there was entirely more swooning and angsting than any actual action, and really the multiple love triangles felt pretty contrived. While it's a nice thought for the characters for each boy to have an alternative lady lined up for when Cassia picked the one she wanted to stay with...it really tripled the amount of angst since all three perspectives were then worrying about both love interests.

The characters are still really flat in my opinion. Xander, Ky and Cassia didn't stand out from one another as narrative voices--I was glad for the page headers that reminded me which character I was reading, because there were a few times I'd pick the book up mid-chapter and struggle to remember. Luckily, that wasn't really a problem until towards the end, when the narratives begin to converge, since for much of the novel they're all tackling different problems across the Society.

This, and the entire series, is definitely more for the fans of teen romance than it is for fans of dystopia. The first two books did a much better job with the dystopic setting, whereas this seemed to have forgotten most of it and just run with the romance plots. It really could have used some trimming down--at just over 500 pages it was all the worse for me that there wasn't much action in all those pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Reached.

02/24/2013 page 1
02/28/2013 page 300
58.0% "Three love triangles? What, she couldn't step it up to four? I feel cheated..."