Karen's Reviews > Toss the Guilt and Catch the Joy: A Woman's Guide to a Better Life

Toss the Guilt and Catch the Joy by Merrilee Browne Boyack

Jan 26, 2009

bookshelves: self-help, lds-non-fiction
Read in November, 2008

When I saw this book it caught my eye, but I decided to get it from the public library instead of purchase it since I was concerned that it might be filled with a lot of what I call "fluff" (motivating lines and "pats on the back" for being a woman). I was wrong. I went and bought it right away. There was a lot of "meat" in this book--discussion on the negative effects of comparisons, a battle plan to fight our fears, the "act as if" principle ("fake it til you make it"), and focusing on our divine self. This book is filled with great quotes so it is one to buy, mark up, and use again and again. I have used several great quotes in Relief Society lessons. There is also a fun bonus--a poem entitled "The Girl in a Whirl", poetry in the style of Dr. Seuss' "The Cat in the Hat" that talks about the modern LDS Supermom. Very funny.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Toss the Guilt and Catch the Joy.

message 1: by Merrilee (new)

Merrilee Boyack Alas - I've never spoken at Women's Conference! I've spoken at Education Week and Time Out for Women. Just so we don't get any rumors started . . . :) Glad you like it! Merrilee

Karen Thank you for taking the time to correct me. I have edited my remarks. Also, thank you for writing this inspiring book. I am currently serving as R.S. President and I am suggesting it for the next read in my ward's book club because I think there are many sisters who would benefit from your words.

Merrilee wrote: "Alas - I've never spoken at Women's Conference! I've spoken at Education Week and Time Out for Women. Just so we don't get any rumors started . . . :) Glad you like it! Merrilee"