Johanna Bouchard's Reviews > Infamy

Infamy by Tom Milton

Jun 11, 13

bookshelves: first-reads, reviewed
Read from December 18, 2012 to June 11, 2013

In a post-9/11 world, Fenly Aquino must act fast to stop another terrorist attack against New York City- and time is running out. Stationed in Madrid, he partners with Spanish Security team member Raquel Lopez to follow the trail of money in a laundering scheme they believe is being used to purchase weapons of mass destruction. But the perpetrators are elusive, using prostitution as a front for their operation. Will they catch the suspects in time to stop the attack? And can they handle the truth they uncover when everything is said and done?

Believe me, this book will keep you hooked until you reach the very last page. Tom Milton is an excellent writer with a fluid, natural style that is all too easy to lose yourself in. I loved his portrayal of the main character, Fenly, as a flawed person who strove to overcome what he was, and to become a better person. In the book, Tom brings you back and forth from the present to the past to give the reader a sense of who Fenly really was and why he was doing what he did for a living. In a strange sort of way it was an inspirational book that also dealt with the very dark and personal subject of 9/11 and the impact that it had on Americans.

I also loved how the author gave the reader a sort of taste of the region of Madrid, culturally as well as culinarily (…is that a word?). Food and books have always kind of meshed for me anyway, so it’s always fun when an author incorporates food into their writing!

I did have one small gripe about the book, however. The pace of the story seemed perfect to me, until I got about 3/4 of the way through, and then for some strange reason it seemed like the plot became hurried or even a little forced. Without giving away the ending, I feel like there was a certain part of the book that should have taken a bit longer to play out in a more natural way, but maybe that’s just me hoping for a sequel. Either way, I still really enjoyed it, and if you like a good international crime/thriller, I think you will too.

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

Check out this review on my blog: EpicBookQuest.wordpress.com
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Infamy.

06/11/2013 marked as: read