Meran's Reviews > The New World

The New World by Patrick Ness

1977270
Jul 14, 12

Read in July, 2012

This prequel is a GREAT teaser for his series, and it worked. I'm buying the books.

I don't know enough about this author or the series this short story begins. But the story made me want to. The situation this 13 yr old girl is placed in, the great deal of responsibility suddenly thrust upon her, the way Patrick has written the story, plainly showing her feeling, plainly depicting the drama, plainly demonstrating the situation, and yet manipulating my emotions expertly, drawing me in so quickly, making me CARE in just a few short words, has revealed his skill in writing and telling a ("hopefully") great story about a New World.

There are a lot of written works available nowadays. So many are just fluff, meant to be passed by our eyes with no lasting memory of their contents, no exposure of what it means to be alive, to experience a real life with real tragedies and triumphs. I believe that Patrick's works are the real thing.

Though the series is for Young Adults, I'll gladly read his adult novels as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The New World.