Galini K.'s Reviews > The Great Escape

The Great Escape by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Jul 14, 12

Read in July, 2012

This was a very typical SEP story. If you’ve read at least a couple of her other works you’d be able to predict what’ll exactly happen in this book. A book can be a little predictable, but still remain enjoyable to a reader, but SEP should really stop following the same plot paths she used in half a dozen her other books. It’s getting annoying.

The characters – Lucy and Panda (I didn’t have any problems with this name, tbh, I thought it was cute and cool, lol) – seemed interesting enough, but the actual romance was practically non-existent. You never actually see them falling in love. Never mind that they meet in the very beginning of the book, there was practically no action whatsoever (of any sort) till I was half way through the story. I was disappointed that the actual romance took very little place in the book, too much attention was given to supporting characters – Bree, Mike, Temple, Toby and others. I love a good side story – Tory and Dexter or April and Jack were absolutely great – but it never should take away from the MAIN romantic line in the book, and please make those characters at least interesting enough so I wouldn’t be bored and annoyed, trying to skip half a book just to read the practically absent parts starring main characters. Besides, those characters almost lack in individuality, it seems like SEP keeps dragging same old archetypes from one book to another.

All in all, I didn’t enjoy the book all that much, though I loved Panda and Lucy as characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Escape.