Joshua's Reviews > Lost in Infinity

Lost in Infinity by Travis Besecker

Apr 29, 13

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from August 17 to December 30, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I received this book as part of a Goodreads First Reads giveaway, and I took a ridiculously long time to finally getting around to finishing it. For this I apologize to Mr. Besecker who, if I understand correctly, sent me the copy himself.

--------------------

This is a very difficult book for me to analyze, and I am not at all sure why. The autobiographical viewpoint of the story initially threw me off and made me dislike the way the story was told. The first one hundred or so pages did nothing to hook me in and keep me reading, so my mind invariably wondered to other books and entertainment pursuits. Despite all this I picked the book back up a few days ago, dusted it off, and bit into it feeling as though I had a moral obligation as I had received the book with no charge to myself except that I finish and review it.

I regret not reading it sooner.

The story picked up quite a head of steam upon reaching Travis' adulthood, and the sections at the start of each chapter were quite interesting. The back and forth dialogues were definitely the strongest points of the story to me, whether between the protagonist and his therapist, or between himself and his ego, and I would have liked to see more of his social interactions. I also must give props to the author for writing from a first person perspective and still being able to maintain the mystery in the story. This is a very difficult thing to do for any writer.

Near the end of the story, when Travis starts to understand what is wrong with him I felt much more engaged and I tore through the last pages in a matter of hours. That's when I felt the sucker punch. The ending was deeply unsettling and very well done. The reuse of certain paragraphs used earlier in the story to reinforce a feeling of having read the book before caused a slight thought hiccup that made me almost turn back and recheck to see what had and hadn't been added. The impact seems like something that would more so affect a male than a female however, and the antagonist's motives are not as well explained as I would have liked, but the concept was brilliant and the execution very neat and practiced.

-----------------

I appreciate being given the chance to read an interesting story that I almost definitely would have missed out on otherwise. It is a very strong first outing from an obviously talented individual, and I hope to see more from him in the future.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lost in Infinity.

08/19/2012 page 41
10.0% "Finding it a little hard to get into. -_-"
04/29/2013 marked as: own