Channing's Reviews > Such a Rush

Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols

Jul 19, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed

I was very surprised at how much I loved Such a Rush. I was expecting a fluffy, girly type book that would have a majorly annoying love triangle. I was also expecting the main character, Leah, to be a light hearted girl who did not have any major problems in her life. I was very wrong on both accounts. Such a rush had depth and dealt with heavy issues that you almost never see in a YA novel. It was refreshing to see an author write real characters whose lives are not perfect. Most of the teen girls I know would connect to the main character by relating to how Leah is called a slut because of the way she looks,how she's treated differently because she is poor, or how she doesn't feel important to her mother. Another thing that really surprised me was how Echols described not having enough money to get by. In most books the author just says the main character doesn't have money but never shows the reader what that would be like. Echols shows poverty in eye opening and discomforting detail. Echols did not shy away from giving the reader a raw and painful story while at the same time making sure there was sweet and happy moments too so you don't get depressed. I would highly recommend Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols.
This is also posted on my blog, Midnight Book Reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such a Rush.