Vio's Reviews > Little Squirrels Can Climb Tall Trees

Little Squirrels Can Climb Tall Trees by Michael          Murphy

Jul 29, 12

bookshelves: could-have-been-great, likeable-characters, funny, missed-opportunity
Read from July 26 to 29, 2012

I think this could have worked out how the author wanted, if it had been edited and tightened up more. I can see where he was going with the storyline but it didn't quite work. There were some funny moments and it was cute in parts. The continuous inner musings and obsession with body parts (penis and nipples) from Joseph were over the top, annoying and unnecessary. It dragged the story down. If Kyle had been given a voice and opinion as well it would have held up much better. His POV was the vital piece missing. Unfortunately this was trying too hard, sadly it was a disappointment, I was expecting more from the romance and story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Squirrels Can Climb Tall Trees.

07/27/2012
7.0% "Mr. Tall, Dark, Handsome with No Body Issues and Dick of Perfection." 8 comments
07/27/2012
40.0% 1 comment
07/28/2012
60.0% "I need a rescue smiley pronto!!!" 2 comments
show 2 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vio (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vio I could be wrong? But is this the right Michael Murphy as the profile does not seem right! I am thinking a mistake has occurred.

Mandy*reads obsessively* I agree!
I look at the author page, when it's a new to me author and it doesn't seem to be the same person!
But Michael Murphy is not an unusual name, so ....

message 3: by Vio (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vio Mandy wrote: "I agree!
But Michael Murphy is not an unusual name, so ...."

No it doesn't, well I hope someone can fix it and put the right profile up if it is indeed wrong.

message 4: by Emma Sea (new)

Emma Sea I can't work out if this is a new author or not; there's so many writers by this name, but none who seem to write m/m or gay erotica. I could start a new author profile, and merge later if we find it belongs somewhere else. That seems the least obtrusive option

message 5: by Vio (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vio Emma Sea wrote: "I can't work out if this is a new author or not; there's so many writers by this name, but none who seem to write m/m or gay erotica. I could start a new author profile, and merge later if we find..."

Thanks Emma that sounds like the best option for now.

message 6: by Emma Sea (new)

Emma Sea Done. If anyone has some info about the author (or if the author reads this) please give me a link to a bio, or PM me with some info, and I'll add it to the profile.

message 7: by Vio (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vio Thank you for taking the time to fix!

Mandy*reads obsessively* Yeah Thanks Emma! :)

message 9: by Emma Sea (new)

Emma Sea no prob: I really like organising and categorizing books :) it makes me feel happy. weird as hell.

message 10: by Tailtiu (new) - added it

Tailtiu from Dreamspinner:

Michael Murphy is somewhere between eighteen and eighty-eight – the number varies from day to day depending on his mood and his energy level. He first thought about writing when he was very young, but put the idea aside in order to celebrate his fifth birthday and then forgot about it for a year or two. Periodically he toyed with the idea but each time rejected it as pure folly. It wasn't until he was an old man of twelve that he wrote his first book. A long dry spell followed before he wrote his next book. Whenever he needs a laugh he looks at those early writings. He has written science fiction, romance, and has collaborated on one non-fiction history book. He and his partner have traveled extensively, trying to cover as much of the world as possible. When not traveling, they live in Washington, DC with their best friend, a throw-away dog they adopted many years ago. To pay the bills, Michael is Director of Information Technology for a national organization based in Washington, DC. All in all he’d rather be writing full-time but hasn’t yet figured out how to make that a viable option.

message 11: by Emma Sea (new)

Emma Sea Tailtiu wrote: "from Dreamspinner:

Awesome, Tailitu: added. Thanks!

Mandy*reads obsessively* How is it sweets?

message 13: by Vio (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vio Thanks Tailtiu! You gem lol!

Mandy go ask Dee..........

Mandy*reads obsessively* Vio wrote: "Thanks Tailtiu! You gem lol!

Mandy go ask Dee.........."

I did, she said to ask you! Lol

MsMiz (Tina) V - are you reading this? What are your thoughts?

message 16: by Vio (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vio I am and I will let you know in a couple of hours so far its a bit slow, its funny to and there is a bit of obsession for the penis and nipples lol!

MsMiz (Tina) I am taking a break. I am at 27%.

message 18: by Vio (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vio MsMiz (Tina) wrote: "I am taking a break. I am at 27%."

Okay you are ahead of me, hmm does this mean it doesn't pick up?

message 19: by Emma Sea (new)

Emma Sea Vio wrote: "there is a bit of obsession for the penis and nipples lol"

Doesn't that describe the whole m/m genre? lol

message 20: by Vio (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vio Emma Sea wrote: "Vio wrote: "there is a bit of obsession for the penis and nipples lol"

Doesn't that describe the whole m/m genre? lol"

Very true, but in this he is musing to himself constantly at the start its funny to a point!

Mandy*reads obsessively* Ahhh...I see!

Mandy*reads obsessively* You know I can't see her review at all, unless I go to my home page and look for your like!

message 23: by Vio (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vio Mandy wrote: "You know I can't see her review at all, unless I go to my home page and look for your like!"

I think because its not up yet, I only noticed it because Ami liked the review lol!

Mandy*reads obsessively* I can't do smileys, but I'll give you a rescue hug! *hugs Vio*

message 25: by Vio (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vio Thanks Mandy, look I am not sure if its me or the book but its not really to my liking. Funny in parts and cute but it goes on for to long so then its not funny anymore. Trying too hard is my opinion.

Mandy*reads obsessively* I don't think you are alone in that opinion! :(
I owe you one! :)

MsMiz (Tina) Vio wrote: "Thanks Mandy, look I am not sure if its me or the book but its not really to my liking. Funny in parts and cute but it goes on for to long so then its not funny anymore. Trying too hard is my opinion."

That is what I was thinking V. It just seemed forced, trying to hard. Great story line, funny in parts, and I did like the two leads, but.....

Mandy*reads obsessively* Bummer..I had high hopes for this one! :(

message 29: by Vio (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vio MsMiz (Tina) wrote: "Vio wrote: "Thanks Mandy, look I am not sure if its me or the book but its not really to my liking. Funny in parts and cute but it goes on for to long so then its not funny anymore. Trying too hard..."

Yep and what a pity because it might of been a whole different story if it had been tightened up at the editing stage.

message 30: by Simsala (new) - added it

Simsala Always the diplomat...;-)

message 31: by Vio (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vio Simsala wrote: "Always the diplomat...;-)"

message 32: by Simsala (new) - added it

Simsala Vio wrote: "Simsala wrote: "Always the diplomat...;-)"

"

Nothing to be ashamed of...*lol*

message 33: by Vio (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vio Simsala wrote: "Vio wrote: "Simsala wrote: "Always the diplomat...;-)"

"

Nothing to be ashamed of...*lol*"

I was trying to even out the good with the bad Sims! But to be honest this was so not for me lol!