Thurston Hunger's Reviews > Coraline

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Nov 02, 08

bookshelves: reading-to-the-kids
Read in October, 2008

Hmmmm, didn't know there was also a graphic novel till I saw it mentioned here on GoodReads. Another father (thank you Andy) mentioned this after he and and his 8-year old daughter made it to see Gaiman read at a local high school. Sad that we missed that, but glad we read this story featuring a strong female protagonist trapped in a world with her witchy other mother and other alternate universe types from her "real" life.

Some of the phrasing is a bit peculiar for reading out loud, caught me off guard. Nice illustrations at the begining of each chapter that I could use to ask the boys what they thought was going to happen.

Overall macabre (dead souls of children, rats hiding in an old man's clothing) but sweet too, and the title character has to summon her bravery, rather than just being bold as all get-out. It worked great for my kids, as it did mostly for Andy's daughter...although he mentioned it as a concern. As always, caretaker emptor...I supposed if Tim Burton is too much for you then this is moreso. In a way maybe *not* having the graphic novel edition was less gruesome for our six-year olds.

At times I tangentially thought about blended families and step-mothers, but then even Mother Goose was tough on step-mothers. This really never took that approach tacitly, I just wondered if it would. Besides if you read this to your step-kid, in my book you automatically count as one of the many, wonderful loving step-parents.

Is there also a film, someone had mentioned that. Maybe later.

Also this was the first time my boys encountered roman numerals, aside from a rare non-digital clock/watch here and there. Going to try some more Gaiman with the boys sooner or later.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coraline.