Marie's Reviews > Who Will Run the Frog Hospital?

Who Will Run the Frog Hospital? by Lorrie Moore

Nov 11, 08

bookshelves: coming-of-age, fiction

I remember a member of our book group recommending this book not long after it was first published...and I've always remembered the title. Great title!

This was, for me, another book that didn't reach its full potential. Possibly because I found the grown woman a bit difficult to relate to, stuck in an unhappy marriage with no deep connections with any other human beings.

As she looks back on her childhood friendship with Sils, I found it easier to relate to her. This book made me recollect my own very deep friendships with other girls, most of whom I am no longer in contact with. After being so close, our lives changed, they moved away, or we just grew apart. Part of me feels sadness about those friendships lost, but the other part of me realizes that the friends I have now are much better suited to the adult me.

This book also forced me to remember stupid mistakes that I made in childhood. What prompts children or teenagers to do stupid things, knowing in the back of their mind that they might get caught?

So it was not entirely unredeeming, but I was not particularly satisfied with the ending and found it depressing.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who Will Run the Frog Hospital?.

11/04/2008 page 18