Santa's Reviews > Ten Girls to Watch

Ten Girls to Watch by Charity Shumway

Aug 04, 12

Read from July 21 to August 04, 2012

I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads. I was very excited when I learned I won because I really wanted to read it. In a nutshell, it’s about Dawn, a 23 year old woman who graduated from college two years earlier, living in a crummy apartment in NYC, temping and dreaming of a “real” job as a writer. She gets the opportunity to work for a magazine tracking down woman from the last 50 years who made the Ten Girls to Watch list.

This book is a very fun, easy, good read. The parts I enjoyed the most were when the author described the interviews with the winners and how the common theme was that winning changed these women’s lives and they didn’t take that for granted. They used their new found popularity to continue doing good. They already were doing great things – that is evident because they won in the first place. They all stressed how you should be happy and enjoy the work you do. I think that makes sense. Life is too short not doing what you want or like. You can’t expect it to happen overnight and without hard work though and that is what this book stresses.

This book made me reminisce on the two years I lived in Los Angeles after graduating from college. I laughed aloud a couple of times. One example was when she got her first paycheck and it was only $12 more than what she got when she temped as a seat-warmer. Oh, the things we do to pay the rent. Can’t forget about the roommate dilemmas – and this book has those too. Then the boy problems…..I felt bad for Dawn, but one day, when she’s an accomplished writer, she will meet someone who will treat her well and support her in everything she does.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Girls to Watch.