JBradford's Reviews > Prodigal Son

Prodigal Son by Dean Koontz

Jul 13, 12

Read in June, 2012

I’ve gotten so that I think anything Dean Koontz writes has to be good, and this one has all the requirements: a doing good couple falling in love, combined with unimaginable horror--and in this case, the horror is compounded beyond belief. Suppose Frankenstein’s monster did not die out on the Alaskan ice floes, but had managed to survive, even unto today’s world? More, suppose Dr. Frankenstein, who was the real monster, had also found a way to survive--and to continue his ungodly experiments? When the book opens, Frankenstein is living in a Tibetan monastery when he gets word that Dr. Frankenstein not only is still alive but is creating new evils in New Orleans. As the plot unfolds, we begin to see just how bad these new evils are. Meanwhile, there are a couple wise-cracking detectives, who don’t want to admit they are falling in love with each other, who are trying to solve the blossoming evils. Everything leads up to a rollicking conclusion … that does not get resolved, because the story is continued in Book 2, leaving the reader hanging, much as in the old serial movies that used to appear in episodic fashion in the movie theater each Saturday matinee.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prodigal Son.