Sunny's Reviews > A Night of Southern Comfort

A Night of Southern Comfort by Robin Covington

Jul 15, 12

bookshelves: team-lawman, own, favorite-series, reviews, revisited
Read on July 14, 2012 — I own a copy

A Night of Southern Comfort
Robin Covington

4.5 stars.
Jackson Cantrell
Kayla Roarke

I saw this book by way of author Laura Kaye's book review. I checked it out. Normally, I do not like covers with faces. I like to imagine what the characters look like based on the author's descriptions. But the intensity on the faces immediately caught my attention and it accurately portrays what's inside the cover (or in this case between Kindle swipes). Dr. Michaela "Kayla" Roarke and Detective Jackson Cantrell begin an incendiary relationship that starts off with a one night stand. Of course, fate brings them together as Kayla has a stalker who has taken compromising pictures of Kayla and is trying to blackmail Kayla's father, the Governor. Jackson is brought in to track down the stalker and protect Kayla. Kayla is the “perfect photo-op” daughter bullied by an overbearing father. She is trying to escape his manipulating ways. Jackson is recovering from a trauma where while undercover his partner and lover are killed. Overcoming their reticence, Kayla and Jackson fall into a hot relationship.

This books tips more towards the romance then the suspense, but still there is a tight little mystery going on here. Still, the romance is front and center. The bedroom scenes are intimately written guaranteed to raise the reader’s temperature a few hot, sweaty degrees.

My one small critique is that there are many side characters that I would have loved to learn more about - Teague Elliott and “the Boys” (do I see a series here in the making?). Theresa and Vergie do not get enough screen time. As we have seen from other books, Southern women can add layers of color to a story.

This is an enjoyable read. The story flows and reads fast. It is difficult to believe this is Robin Covington’s debut novel. My only warning when reading this on an e-reader, be mindful of who is sitting next to you on the plane, train, or automobile. They may be trying to read this hot little number over your shoulder.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Night of Southern Comfort.

07/14/2012
2.0% "oh boy, first few pages in and it's getting hot in here"
07/14/2012
66.0% "impressive"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee You sold me! Great review Sunny!:)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Great review and thanks for the rec, Sunny!

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Hi there,

I apologize if you've already reviewed this title on Amazon, but if you haven't, can you please go on there and post your review on there as well?

Thanks so much for all that you do!

~ Heather Riccio, Senior Publicist

Sunny Heather wrote: "Hi there,

No worries. Already done.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather Thank you! :)