Nina's Reviews > Second Chance Summer

Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson

Jul 13, 12

Read in July, 2012

I discovered Morgan Matson by accident. I read her novel Amy and Roger's epic detour and knew after reading it, I had to read more books by her. For starters, Morgan Matson is the Queen of poignant stories.

I was saddened by her first novel and almost welled up but it was seond chance summer that made me cry hard. It's the story of Taylor Edwards, who on her 17th birthday finds out her father has only three months left to live. Her family decide to spend that last summer together at the beach house.

The beach house has many good and bad memories for Taylor. It's where she spent her summers with her best friends Lucy and Henry before their friendship changed forever the summer they turned 12. It was where she learned running away doesn't always solve issues and if you run away those issues always come back to haunt you.

While this is a story about life and death and the way relationships can be brought together by such crises it's also a story about discovery, first loves, heartbreak, loss, learning to stand on your own two feet and learning to not run away every time a problem comes your way.

It's beautifully written and makes me eager to read anything else by Morgan Matson.

Considering how deeply it tugs at the heart strings, I would suggest you read this alone, and with a box of tissues by your side.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Chance Summer.