Kathy's Reviews > Three Cups of Tea: One Man's Mission to Promote Peace ... One School at a Time

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

Nov 02, 2008

bookshelves: non-fiction, rs-book-club
Read in October, 2008 , read count: 2

It took me three months to read this book, not because it isn't inspiring, educational, and reasonably well written, (because it is) but because I'm a slow reader, it wasn't on any of my 3 book clubs' current lists, I took a trip to Banda Aceh in the middle of it, and I own it so I didn't have a deadline to return it to the library. The big question now is, "what am I doing to make the world a better place?"
Some of my favorite passages: "The belief rippling around him was strong. It was powerful enough to convert a gas station into a holy place. Who knew what other wonders of transformation lay ahead?" "...In the post-9/11 era, Mortenson would often be asked by Americans about the danger he faced in the region from terrorists. 'If I die in Pakistan, it'll be because of a traffic accident, not a bomb or bullet,' he'd always tell them. 'The real danger over there is on the road.'" "Pull yourself together Greg. Of course you've hit a few speed bumps," Reichardt said. "But what you're trying to do is much more difficult than climbing K2."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Cups of Tea.

Beth Can I borrow it?

Kathy Carl actually bought it for us back in June and he has not read it yet. I see that Garret has a hardback copy on his shelf. So perhaps Carl could read that one.

Dawn Did you donate to Mortenson's organization after you read it? I did! (: I was very moved by the book and also gave it 5 stars.