Cindi's Reviews > Second Wind

Second Wind by Mickey S.

Jul 14, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fanfiction, m-m
Read from July 13 to 14, 2012

This was a really nice story. There were a couple of things that had me shaking my head (view spoiler) but overall it was very good.

The dialogue got to be a bit much at times. It drives me nuts when characters refer to the person they are talking to by name in every single sentence. Every time Joey said something (it seemed like) it was "Ben this..." or "Ben that..." It was the same when Ben was speaking to Joey. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it was quite necessary because pretty much the entire 500-something pages are dialogue so it helped to keep from getting confused but it can definitely be too much.

The story was actually quite good. It takes awhile to get to the resolution but the resolution is satisfactory. I was getting toward the end almost scared of how one character's attitude would be dealt with. (view spoiler) Not everything is tied up neatly but the story plays out well. The cast of characters are interesting to say the least. Throughout most of it I was thinking how thankful I am that I don't have a family like Joey's... :) And I thought MY mother-in-law was bad. Not! One character in particular, while an important part of the story, could never redeem himself in my eyes. He is written as a complete tool in the very beginning and then suddenly he becomes a friend of sorts. I had a difficult time seeing him for anything other than the way he was described early on even if he did do something nice later.

There is conflict, lots of homophobic idiots, questions about ones sexuality and even a troubled teen but in the end it is a very nice love story. Definitely worth the time it took for me to read it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Wind.