Lindsey's Reviews > Gone

Gone by Michael  Grant

Nov 02, 08

bookshelves: 2008, teen, were-all-gonna-die

I'm glad that I set aside The Shining to read this book... because it absolutely scared the crap out of me. Mostly that creepy ass thing in the middle of the desert that nobody knows what it is and it's always out there.. pulsating.. in the darkness. (Although it was kind of cliche that it was called The Darkness. Everytime I saw that I started singing "I believe in a thing called love.")

Still, since I kept reading this at night before bed, I was like, what exactly is under the bed? Which means this books probably scared nobody else and I'm a total sucker.

The writing was kinda lame. That seems to be my big problem with teen books. I want to love you teen books but your authors need to pull their shit together. I don't know what it was, maybe the third person (semi-omniscience?) POV? Something was slowing this book down to the point where I was really feeling every page there in the middle.

Anyways, I'm all about this weird apocalyptic genre thing that's happening, so this book was good. I was a little, okay a lot, pissed off that it set up for a sequel. Or possible sixteen hundred more books. I wish I'd known that going in. Or maybe I don't wish I'd known that. I was like, hey there's not much left to this book, maybe there will be some real stellar crazy ass ending. Turns out: not so much.

Teen books, why you do me like you do?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gone.