Hanne's Reviews > Started Early, Took My Dog

Started Early, Took My Dog by Kate Atkinson

Jul 13, 12

Read from July 11 to 14, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

A bit ho hum for me. I came to this book after watching Case Histories, so was perhaps expecting a bit more Jackson Brodie than I got. There was a bit too much internal dialogue for my taste and too many passages of people musing about- generally depressing- times long gone.

Found it hard to believe that all of the protagonists's memories were so uniformly joyless and dreary and their lives nothing but a jumble of regrets, false turns and missed opportunities. Much of it didn't seem to further the somewhat sparse plot and I got irritated by having to read long sections of stuff I wasn't interested in, particularly the semi-senile elderly actress. Also, Jackson Brodie seemed to be an innocent bystander to most of the action - not much detecting going on.

Having said that, she's undoubtedly a good writer and at least her style didn't irritate me. And key parts of the story were interesting and I did keep on reading to try and put the puzzle toghether. I will probably read her next book, but perhaps with slightly lowered expectations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Started Early, Took My Dog.