Cheyenne Blue's Reviews > Wired for Story: The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence

Wired for Story by Lisa Cron

Oct 06, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction, obsessions
Read from July 30 to September 22, 2012

I don't read many books on writing - they can either become very samey, or conversely, they can contradict each other which is confusing for this bear of little brain. But this book (which I found via a friend's rec here on Goodreads) grabbed my attention.

I wish I could give it more than five stars. Setting aside the neuroscience part, many writers may find that it's telling them nothing new, or that it's iterating things they know instinctively. What makes this book exceptional is the clear way such information is presented, and the reasoning behind, which is where the neuroscience comes in. Cron details how the human brain searches for patterns in the info dump we receive every day, and then shows how a writer can harness this to write compelling stories. She talks about character, plot, theme and how to harness them together. She debunks many myths (the hardest one for me to accept is that storytelling trumps beautiful writing every time, but hey, look at Dan Brown). She offers questions for the writer to ask themselves at every stage in the writing process to ensure that your story is a focused, cohesive unit. Each chapter ends with a series of checkpoints that summarise the chapter.

For me, this book coalesced many things, and has given me a way forward on a project that is often thought of, but one I could never progress as the way forward was too murky.

Excellent, excellent book.

Edited to add: I've just also purchased the Kindle edition of this. I wanted to have it available to refer to on my lappie and phone and handheld. Positive reinforcement if you will. That and chocolate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wired for Story.

08/05/2012 page 40
09/01/2012 page 90
34.0% "Clear, concise and worthwhile. I want to take notes."