Amanda's Reviews > Island in the Sea of Time

Island in the Sea of Time by S.M. Stirling

Jul 20, 12

bookshelves: scifi-fantasy
Read from July 13 to 20, 2012

I don't usually like books with a concept of time travel, but this one sucked me in. There isn't any explanation given for why Nantucket suddenly disappeared back in time, but Stirling doesn't make the mechanics into a long boring explanation that detracts from the human side of the novel.

I kept thinking what I would do if I was swept back into a time before any technology, and it kind of frightened me. Once you get through the concept of ruining the timeline, because they clearly need to survive and there was no turning back to 1998, the citizens of the Republic of Nantucket did precisely what they needed to do to survive.

My few critiques are that it seemed reliant too much on deus ex machinae, but that didn't detract from the action, and sure I suppose that a middle-aged Nantucket librarian would know that much about ancient civilizations. Sure made me feel a little dumb, haha. And a little bit of female characterisation was missing, even though Marion Alston was a prominent character. I am happy to continue the series though!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Island in the Sea of Time.

07/13/2012 page 31