Venessa's Reviews > The Bat

The Bat by Mary Roberts Rinehart

201787
Jul 13, 12

Read from July 10 to 13, 2012 — I own a copy

"Miss Van Gorder, I confess-I'm very anxious for you," he continued. "This letter is-ominous. Have you any enemies?"
"Don't insult me! Of course I have. Enemies are an indication of character."
__________________________________________

Miss Van Gorder's smile was obdurate. "I have a great deal of mind," she said. "It takes a long time to change it."

I just found out today by talking to a patron at work (yes, totally weird he brought this book up the day I finished it, I know) Rinehart pioneered a new mode of mystery writing which I can't reveal since it would spoil the entire mystery. Considering that it was published in 1926, yes, there are stereotypes I groaned and rolled my eyes at (the butler known as Billy the Jap, the Irish maid, the young lady who faints constantly, blah blah blah) but the heroine is a clever, intelligent older woman, Miss Van Gorder, or Miss Cornelia, which I'm seeing as a characteristic of Rinehart's books. A nice, easy read, very fast-paced and brilliantly constructed because it was hard to put down at the end of each cliff-hanging chapter. Might want to see the Vincent Price version of the movie since I LOVE Vincent Price.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bat.