Meem's Reviews > The Song of Achilles

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

Feb 21, 14

bookshelves: tearjerker-101, to-re-re-re-read, favourites
Read from July 17 to 18, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song of Achilles.

Quotes Meem Liked

Madeline Miller
“Name one hero who was happy."
I considered. Heracles went mad and killed his family; Theseus lost his bride and father; Jason's children and new wife were murdered by his old; Bellerophon killed the Chimera but was crippled by the fall from Pegasus' back.
"You can't." He was sitting up now, leaning forward.
"I can't."
"I know. They never let you be famous AND happy." He lifted an eyebrow. "I'll tell you a secret."
"Tell me." I loved it when he was like this.
"I'm going to be the first." He took my palm and held it to his. "Swear it."
"Why me?"
"Because you're the reason. Swear it."
"I swear it," I said, lost in the high color of his cheeks, the flame in his eyes.
"I swear it," he echoed.
We sat like that a moment, hands touching. He grinned.
"I feel like I could eat the world raw.”
Madeline Miller, The Song of Achilles

Madeline Miller
“Odysseus inclines his head. "True. But fame is a strange thing. Some men gain glory after they die, while others fade. What is admired in one generation is abhorred in another." He spread his broad hands. "We cannot say who will survive the holocaust of memory. Who knows?" He smiles. "Perhaps one day even I will be famous. Perhaps more famous than you.”
Madeline Miller, The Song of Achilles

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elius (new)

Elius soooooo... good book?

Meem Fate is never far from the heels of Achilles.
The Trojan War and gay men! Who can resist this?

message 3: by Elius (new)

Elius plenty, i am sure :P

speaking of which, I plan an taking an online course on Greek and Roman Mythology, starting September, in case you are interested.

Meem I am interested, but how does it work?

message 5: by Elius (new)

Elius I only took the Cryptograhy course which included lectures (split in several segments which you can either see at one go or however you see fit), followed by discussion on the topics, related readings, and then a quiz. Pretty much an online version of classroom. I suppose it'd be similar.

Meem Do you have to go everyday?

message 7: by Elius (new)

Elius once a week.

Meem Oh. Sounds cool. I think I'll try it.