Kristen's Reviews > Suite Française

Suite Française by Irène Némirovsky

Jul 15, 09

Read in June, 2009

I can't remember how many WWII books, I've read but there have been quite a few. I loved all of Cami's comments. (I don't have my book with me, but I'll try to remember some things.) I really liked the way the author commented on people's different reactions to the same situation. She seemed to really "get" the essence of a person and how different each person is from another.

From "Dolce" I understood a little more that people cannot be categorized into "bad" and "good" for the most part. The Germans and the townspeople had their good and bad ideas, prejudices and quirks. Many times it seems that WWII books are a little "preachy" about the fact that all the Germans aren't "bad" and the Allies "good" (if they bring up that point at all.) Irene seemed very aware of what was happening in France and was, amazingly enough, able to see and recognize the good around her.

I especially enjoyed reading the last section of the book (the appendix?) that included Irene's notes about the book and her journal. I wasn't able to finish it before I had to return it to the library but what I read was very insightful. I liked following her train of thought concerning the characters and where the book was going. I could also see that she was so aware of her situation and the situation of France. She knew enough to write an amazing two books but to not lose hope. At one point in her notes she writes that a particular character will die a heroic death later in the book. But then she writes, But what is heroism? What does that mean today? She seemed like an incredible woman.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Suite Française.