Katharina's Reviews > Broken Harbour

Broken Harbour by Tana French

Jul 13, 2012

bookshelves: read-2012
Read from July 13 to 15, 2012

I think Tana French is at her best when she writes about friendships formed in us-against-the-world situations. The Likeness is still my favorite book by her by far, and my favorite scenes here were the ones that dealt with their adolescent friendship.
But it's much more than that. The way she writes, characters and setting and atmosphere and WORDS, makes things that should be boring absolutely thrilling. It's depressing as hell, but I could not put this book away.
It's also much less about conventional crime solving than about a gradual descent into madness, which I always found incredibly interesting. I have issues with some of the things that happened, but her writing style is so amazing that I can forgive them. Basically, if you want excellent, intelligent crime written in gorgeous prose, go read her now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Broken Harbour.

07/13/2012
45.0% "French seriously writes some of the best contemporary crime fiction I know. Also, I love Richie <3"

Keetha I loved THE LIKENESS, top! Really didn't care for IN THE WOODS b/c I still want to know what happened to those kids!

Katharina Keetha wrote: "I loved THE LIKENESS, top! Really didn't care for IN THE WOODS b/c I still want to know what happened to those kids!"

YES!!!!!!!! I read In The Woods right when it came out and was so annoyed by the ending. It took me ages to read The Likeness after that, but I love love love that one.