All Things Urban Fantasy's Reviews > Clean

Sep 07, 12

bookshelves: reviewed-by-abigail
Read in September, 2012

Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

CLEAN is a cool book. That’s all there is to it. It has the kind of worldbuilding you can sink your teeth into, a damaged anti-hero who falls for an even more damaged anti-heroine, and an investigation to catch a teleporting serial killer.

The procedural aspects of CLEAN are sharp and interesting even for a reader who doesn’t normally go for procedurals. The real hook, however, was the worldbuilding. A small percentage of the population has an Ability. They can be telepaths, telekinetics, or teleportors. Some have a small Ability, others–like our protagonist–have a frightening amount of power. That is until he got hooked on an experimental drug that got him kicked out of the Telepath’s Guild, living in a closet sized apartment devoid of anything he might hock for drug money, and stuck working as an interrogator for the police.

He’s a wonderfully messed up character. Some of the best passages in CLEAN are where he’s wrestling with himself about whether or not to get high. He’ll plot out exactly how he’ll do it, even knowing that it’ll destroy his life and irrevocably sever the tenuous relationships he’s been building at the department with his boss and also Detective Cherabino. The protagonist (whose name we don’t learn until the end of the book) is very much a Harry Dresden type character, and Cherabino is a more angry version of Murphy. There is a romance that they dance around, but there are a lot of pretty significant issues keeping them apart like his drug problem and inability to stay out of her head. But I liked these two messed up characters a lot. I’ll be rooting for them in the sequel.

If you like The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, this series looks to be tailor made for Harry and Murphy fans. Since I can’t read Alex Hughes’s mind, I’ll have to wait for the next book in the Mindspace Investigations series which is titled SHARP and will be published on April 2, 2013.

Sexual Content:
Kissing. Mild sensuality. References to rape

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clean.