Liz's Reviews > Prophecies Awakening

Nov 12, 14

bookshelves: first-in-a-series
Read from August 02 to 26, 2012

2.5/5

The book really starts with a bang and dives straight into the story, while giving you a history of Marithia and how it became to be in its current predicament. I never felt out of the loop, even with the numerous characters and species, as the author gave a useful list at the beginning with the characters and their roles. This is the first book I've read that incorporated almost every mystical/fantastical creature there is. I enjoyed that, and think the relationships and interactions between the different 'species' were well executed. However, there were aspects I found weren't well executed.

Firstly, for me there wasn't enough character development. I felt almost all the characters were 2D in the fact that they were either 'good' or 'evil'. I wasn't shocked by anything, I wasn't engrossed by any of them, for quite a few of them I couldn't pick out discerning characteristics that made them stand out. I also felt the dialogue in the book was lacking. I couldn't recognise any distinct voice for each character, and this may be because most of the time the characters were only talking about vengeance, taking revenge and/or killing the dark forces. I wanted them to have more heart felt conversations so you could really see their personalities and personal histories. However, this was partially remedied by the paragraph (like a soliloquy) at the beginning of chapters, which were spoken by different characters. That gave me more of an insight into their views, and I would've liked to have seen more of that in the book. I also felt that some of the dialogue wasn't plausible with the characters' ages.

There were illustrations in the book which I didn't feel were necessary; with enough description I prefer to imagine the characters myself.

I liked the fast-paced nature of this book, and the action sequences were well described, without going on too long and making me lose interest. I do feel however that the fast pace may have resulted in less character development.

I kept on reading because I wanted to find out what will happen to Marithia! I liked the ending, as it actually surprised me, and is a good segue to the second instalment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prophecies Awakening.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peter (new) - added it

Peter Koevari Good afternoon,

I wanted to let you know that I've listened to critical feedback (yours included), decided to go back and revise Legends of Marithia: Prophecies Awakening, to address dialogue problems, flesh it out further, strengthen the book overall, and work on character development. It still may not please everyone, but I am working hard on this, before I complete and publish Legends of Marithia 3. If you are interested on re-reading this once it is done, then I would gladly gift you an eBook copy of the new revised version when it is ready.

Kind Regards,