Michelle's Reviews > Criminal

Criminal by Karin Slaughter

Jul 13, 2012

Read from July 13 to 19, 2012

WOW. Just...WOW. I have thoroughly enjoyed every single thing Karin Slaughter has published, eagerly devouring each new book as soon as it hit the shelves, but this....this is the best thing she has EVER written. I was astonished. I didn't think her books could be any better than they already were. "Criminal" is on a whole new level. I don't know how she can possibly top this one. It was so perfect. The characters, the relationships, the crimes, the slices of 1970's Atlanta and what it was like to be a woman breaking through all those barriers. Absolutely incredible! If the whole book had just been the flashback to Amanda and Evelyn's (?...I'm so bad with names) entry into the police force and detective work, and the struggle of it all, I still would have read it non-stop...it was fascinating! I was only a little girl during that time period, so I recognize some of the details, but nothing on the scale of what is depicted in the book, of course. We tend to forget that we're standing on the shoulders of giants, but this book slapped me right in the face with exactly how grateful I need to remember to be.

But that's not all we got. Slaughter crafted an amazing crime/detective story, and a lovely continuation of the Will/Sara story (that we all have been looking forward to, I'm sure). Two thumbs way enthusiastically up!!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Criminal.